There are a number of ways to make your home safer from the damage that severe weather brings, but the trick is to do them well before any bad weather is forecast. Useful tips include:
- Install a waterproofing membrane around the exterior foundation walls of your home to prevent water entering your basement.
- Install a sump pump in the basement that switches on automatically in the presence of water.
- Raise the furnace and boiler above the level of the basement floor to prevent them from being flooded.
- Install a generator that can provide adequate power if the electricity fails in a storm.
- Reinforce your garage doors, as these can blow right off the hinges, exposing your house to the ravages of the storm.
- Cut plywood panels to fit all windows and doors ahead of time and then store them for quick installation before a storm.
- Regularly check flashing around windows and doors to ensure it is still waterproof.